I surprised myself today and painted up the last infantrymen that were waiting for a paint job. Normally I would have bought more miniatures to put on the lead pile way before this happens! Now I have to decide if I'm satisfied with the amount of infantrymen, or if I should add even more.
Until now I had painted all my troops with both pants and jackets in feldgrau, so I wanted to start to mix things up a little bit, and break up the monotomy. In a fit of complete insanity I started to paint black pants as well! We'll see if the clubmates survive this radical shift from the normal uniform.
The Pioneers are from the German Pioneer box from Warlord Games. It's a great box that consists of the normal Blitzkrieg plastic box and a bunch of metal bits to convert about a dozen engineers. My only gripe is that gluing metal bits to plastic bodies is a mess, which required me to pin several heads and arms after they refused to bond or fell of during painting. The extra plastic that was left after the Pioneers served well as additions to our infantry platoons.
Shirty had a bunch of the older Warlord Games Late War infantry sprues, and here I used up the last ones that I had, as well as some of the Blitzkrieg sprues. The older sprues are not even close to match their newer kits, so it's great news that they released a new Grenadier kit that kind of replaces the previous Late War kit.
Anyway, that's 37 more infantrymen painted in a month, not a bad thing. As for the paint jobs, it's quite simple, straight forward and pretty old school. IFor tabletop level painting like this I usually go by the proven method of base coat, wash, basecoat, highlight. I thought I would write the paints down, if only so that I remember them myself if I go back to add more to the collection later:
Priming: the minis are primed black first.
Skintones: faces and hands are painted with Midlund Flesh (P3), and then washed with Reikland Fleshshade (GW). I then do a new coat of Midlund, and finally a highlight of Midlund + any white.
Dark grey cloth: this is painted German Fieldgrey WWII (Vallejo model colour), and then washed with Nuln Oil (GW). I then do a new coat of field grey, a first highlight of field grey mixed with Highlight German No. 1 (Vallejo Panzer Aces). Finally I do a highlight with just Highlight German No.1.
Black cloth: painted with Coal Black (P3), a paint I find extremely useful. Then I wash with Nuln Oil, a first highlight with Coal Black, and then a highlight with Coal Black mixed with Magic Blue (Vallejo Game Colour).
Black leather: painted with Matt Black (Lifecolour), then highlighted with Matt Black mixed with Stonewall Grey (Vallejo Game Color).
Dark metal: a mix of Matt Black and Runefang Steel (GW), washed with Nuln Oil, and then highlighted with Runefang Steel.
Brown leather: Bootstrap Leather (P3), washed with Agrax Earthshade (GW), first highlight with Bootstrap Leather, and final highlight with Bootstrap Leather and the yellow that is closest in hand, this time surprisingly Top Coat (Baccus Basing System).
Olive cloth: (engineering backpacks etc.) are painted Loren Forest (GW), washed with Nuln Oil, and then highlighted with Loren Forest and Ushabti Bone (GW).
Wood: parts like rifle stocks varies, but in this case I painted them Oak Brown (Army Painter), washed them Agrax Earthshade, and then highlighted with Oack Brown mixed with Ushabti Bone.
That's pretty much it for today's effort. Remaining goals for this months painting are primarily the water tower and the 38(t), so expect one of them in my next update.
WW2 Campaign Blog
This blog follows the second Chain of Command club campaign, set in the intense fighting over Stalino in October 1941.