As I have made rules for dismounting and then mounting again, and for having the Horse-serzhant roaming around with the horses I think it would be nice to have some models representing them. I never got to grips before a friend of mine bought me some Warlord Games "pike & shotte"-horse holders as a gift! Now of course I just had to do it...
I started with picking out three horses (there was four of them). These models are superb, the horses' poses are very natural and realistic. However, they are made for the 17th Century, so I had to convert them a bit. The holder was made from a Wargames Factory plastic Soviet, with some random Copplestone head I had in my bit box and a back-pack and slung carbine from Warlord Games. I gave him some extra hair out of green stuff, and then I had to make him a green stuff cap to hold in his hand, as you can´t be without a hat in the military! The saddles were not of 20th Century stock, so I had to green-stuff them as well.
Basing was carried out with milliput. I use a lot of this on my bases since you want to hide the miniature's molded-on base. Then I put a mix of PVA glue and dirt over it to make a nice texture.
The painted and based horse holder. I added bridles as it just looked wrong without them (original in metal and green stuff). I thought I might never get the chance to use the horse holder on the table top, but they turned up in battle just a couple of days after finishing them!