DHL called me about a small package from the UK.
Some of this will be included in the forces: the KV-2 tank, the Soviet staff car, the German motorcycles and kubelwagen, Kfz. 305 Truck, and the Panzer 38(t). The Messerschmitt Bf 109 and the Soviet fire engine are going to do service as terrain features.
I could not wait to get started, and immediately opened up the Panzerkampfwagen 38(t). It's a 1/48 scale kit by Tamiya, and was released just this Spring. With the Panzer 38(t) now available, we are able to field almost all the tanks in the 1941 German list without mixing scales.
The Panzer 38(t) is fun to add to your German force, as it is not a German tank! It was designed in Czechoslovakia just before WW2, and due to the solid design it was incorporated in the German army. But it looks a lot different than your average German tank from the period, more boxy and clad in riveted steel. New units were produced until 1942, but even after its service as a frontline tank it survived as a chassis for other weapons, most famously as the Marder III tank destroyer. But did you know that Sweden also licensed the chassis, both as a tank (Stridsvagn m/41) and as assault artillery (Stormartillerivagn m/43)?
Either way, there's a great review of the kit at missing-lynx.com. I agree with everything said in there: it's a simple and pretty cheap kit, and I built it in just two sittings. It has a commander model if you like that, or you can just model the hatch shut. I can recommend it to anyone who wants to add a slightly quirky tank for their early to mid war German forces. Next up will be the very minor detail of painting it!
After we took the decision to make quite a few new buildings for our Stalino campaign (it's going to be city fighting after all!), I got feeling and started to make two houses. They are inspired on the type of building you can se in the middle block of this photo, closest to the viewer, probably a several family dwelling. The photo should be from Stalino 1941:
Said and done, I took two MDF bases of proper size (4x12 inches) and then cut out the walls with this in mind. I used white foamboard for the structure. Then I easily copied the walls once to get the second house. I just put them on another sheet of foamboard and let the hobby knife do the work. I made doors and windows out to the backyard to make them more interesting for gaming purposes (the houses on the photo did not have this, but the campaign is about another train-station than the one above so I did not feel that I needed exact copies).
Each house has two apartments with no door between so I hope that one Soviet and one Fascist section will end up in each end of the house during play! Hopefully a interesting situation. We always have the roofs detachable so you can move around and fight in the houses.
Front side of buildings:
I glued parts together with PVA glue. After this I made the base for the roof in a similar way as the walls.
Backyard side of buildings:
Next building session will see chimneys and hopefully some work on walls, doors and windows. Cheers! /Shirty
WW2 Campaign Blog
This blog follows the second Chain of Command club campaign, set in the intense fighting over Stalino in October 1941.