The extraordinary nice range of Renaissance skeleton range by Skull and Crown Miniatures, named after The Triumph of Death painting and various 16th century wood-cuts, has caught our eyes (and Kickstarter pledges). We went all in on the first Triumph of Death Kickstarter but have not painted any of the models yet. With the Triumph of Death II Kickstarter incoming, which we knew we would support, we started preparing the skeletons for the coming storm of Death!
We love these miniatures, and this is a kind of army I have wanted to do for at least two decades!
In our communication with Thomas Foss (the force behind Skull and Crown Miniatures) I could not resist to show some of the things I have done to his creations, and he asked if I could not make a blog entry about it. And of course I don´t need any more encouragement than that! So, the specific topic was green-stuff cerecloth on the skeletons. Let´s go!
Make balls of greenstuff (one for each miniature - test some different sizes) and let them lay to rest for about an hour (or maybe 45 minutes - at least longer than you think!). If you use it prematurely, it will only be a mess when you apply it to the miniature! Experiment a little and you'll get it right.
Flatten the ball on a glib/slick surface (I use a plastic surface) with cold water. If it´s so hard that it hurts a little bit on your fingertip when you flatten it it´s still ok. In the process, turn it many times so it doesn't get stuck, and add a little cold water each time.
Take a knife and cut out a fairly rectangular "sheet". You can save the cut-offs and put them on another skeleton as torn apart landsknecht clothes when you are finished with the skeletons. You can probably skip this step and get a good result, maybe I just do it out of superstition.
Wrinkle it before attaching it to the model. I have used both fingers and different tools for this. It creates a much better result than if you try to do it once attached to the miniature.
Push it on the skellie, push it on hard so it is stuck when you work to rearrange it!
Rearreage the sheet with a tool until hopefully satisfied. Put the tool in cold water while you work. I used a plastic 28mm lance and a hobby-knife. Some say there are fancier stuff out there to do this kind of work.
Here comes some finished miniatures. Most of them with nice new clothing. As you can see you have the opportunity to build some variants that would be really hard to cast. This is partly doable because the green-stuff is half hardened when i work with it.
When you get a hold on it it´s fairly quick, so you can do several at a time. Good luck with the coming Apocalypse!
The Renaissance Blog
What started as a blog about Renaissance gaming in general quickly turned into a blog about samurai miniatures.