Finished Supply Wagon
After a few evenings of work, the wagon is now finished. I painted up the horses quickly and went to work on the base. It's in MDF and actually warped noticably from the spackling paste that I put on it. I shaped the spackle into wheel and hoof marks, and after painting them muddy I used a brush to put small pools of gloss varnish in them, making it look like wet mud.
The real hero of this paint job was a liberal amount of mud painted on. I first used a stippling technique (basically "stabbing" the wagon a worn out brush) to apply some Vallejo Light Mud, to represent dried mud. You want this layer to go the furthest from the source of the mud spray, in this case hugest on the wagon sides and across the wheels. Then, I used a darker brown, representing freshly stuck wet mud. Together, they really do a good job at hiding the "squareness" of the MDF wood, especially on areas such as the wheel spokes.
There's a driver that was left behind, and I'll probably paint him up later on. But for now, the wagon is ready to serve my French army, either as a deployment point or as a scenario objective.
Painting the mud
After this one I have an engineer cart to finish, but it would also be nice to paint up a battalion specific supply cart, as I've seen contemporary sketches where they wrote which battalion the wagon belonged to on the sides or the roof of it
"Glory is fleeting,