It was time to get the Kübelwagen painted. As with all the previous 1940-41 German vehicles, it was a straight forward job: pretty much the entire kit was painted with cLifecolor's Panzergrau. I got some pots from Lifecolor when we bought an airbrush for the club, and I've grown to like them more and more. The seats and the rolled up canvas roof were painted khaki green (Dunkelbraun). Finally I did some highlights with Tamiya's grey pigment powder.
The driver included in the kit was dressed up for Africa, so I used kneadatite ("green stuff") to add some sleeves. I assumed that the short pants would not be visible once seated, and ended up just painting the legs Feldgrau. You can kind of see it if you hold up the model and peek in, but then I would like to know why you're peeking at miniature legs in the first place.
Once I painted the Kübelwagen, I put on the decals. In this case the kit only came with Luftwaffe decals, so I did some googling to see how an army version would look. It turned out that there were all kinds of versions, but I found several examples with the Balkenkreuz on the rearmost right side door, so I went with that. Again, the kit didn't come with the cross, but I had some left from when I built a Panzer II, so I used that one. This time I remembered to put on micro sol on the decal before painting gloss varnish over it, which was a big improvement over last time.
Finally, I weathered the kit with some yellow, sand, and mud pigments. This is the part that I feel the least comfortable with, and I think I put on a bit too much this time. I really should take the time to learn how to use these pigments properly. But in the end it's good enough for tabletop standard in my opinion, so it's off to Stalino with this little driver, along with the Pz.Kpfw. 38(t).
WW2 Campaign Blog
This blog follows the second Chain of Command club campaign, set in the intense fighting over Stalino in October 1941.